Planes, Trains, and I was really wishing I had an automobile….

So, as I made my way from San Francisco to Germany yesterday, I decided to start blogging again.  And, maybe start one that I could keep going after this trip, since I seem to have a lot going on in life – whether it’s presenting a paper or a 100 mile bike ride, it seems like there is lots to write about.  And, with school wrapping up soon, I might actually have time to keep it up – we shall see.  Anyway…

I started my original blog last year when I spent several weeks traveling China and Japan.  I thought about continuing that blog, but in the end, decided to keep that one as is and start new one about life in general.  Anyone who wants to see that one, it can be found here:

Ok, I digress.  Yesterday, and I guess Monday too, was an adventure in remembering how to travel.  The plane ride was pretty uneventful, which is good for a plane ride.  I thought the guy next to me was going to be crazy, since he decided he just wanted to take a different seat, you know, in case no one was sitting there.  In the end, he ended up in his normal seat next to me, but was actually a nice guy.  And, the wine was free…haha…love Lufthansa.

After what became a really long plane ride – I fell asleep too early, and then couldnt go back to sleep (ugh, but I did get to catch up on my movie watching), we landed in Frankfurt.  I had some time to kill between flights, so had my first German beer, because, what else are you going to do ;).  Then boarded a second plane for Bremen.

Arrival in Bremen was also non-eventful, and probably a good thing.  Customs really was too – I think I went through in Frankfurt, where they stamped my passport, and then again with my bag in Bremen, but no one said anything.  My suitcase was ready as soon as I got to the luggage carousel, so I grabbed it, and I was off…to somewhere.

The hotel had provided directions from the airport to the city of Bremen, and then from Bremen to the hotel in Vegesack.  Unfortunately, they werent the most clear directions for someone not from here.  That, and unlike what I remember from Asia, the train stations are not in English.  Oh well, luckily, the only train at the airport was the one I needed to take, and I figured out how to change the ticket machine to English.

So I board the train….and know I need to get off at the central train station.  Of course, I translate that to, center city….and get off in the middle of Bremen.  Great…I love an adventure, but not so much with a giant suitcase, in clothes I’ve been wearing for two days, and on two hours of sleep.  I walk about a block before realizing I’m in the wrong spot.  Luckily, another train isnt far away and the central train station is easy to find.  If only the next train had been just as easy to spot, but luckily there was a little booth selling tickets and offering help.  And even better, they spoke some english.

I had to go in the train station building to get the train to Vegesack (think commuter rail in boston type thing), and quickly find myself in the grand central station of Bremen.  Which wouldnt be so bad if I wasnt hauling a suitcase, etc, etc.  Someone else helped me buy the correct ticket and sent me to the right train track, only to miss the train.  And of course the elevator is broken – so after hauling the suitcase up the stairs, I got to haul it back down and find the next train to Vegesack.

I decided I’d had enough of hauling the suitcase, and attempted to take the elevator up this time.  But it ended up being packed, and there were two of us left outside of it.  I think I thought there were more people coming out, but they werent, and I really didnt know what was going on.  The other girl asked me something, but of course I didnt understand her, I think she was telling me to get in the elevator.  In the end, neither of us did – that’s the thing about traveling in Europe that’s way different from Asia – I look like I could speak the language here and just talk away at me.  In the end, I ended up hauling the luggage up to track five, and thankfully getting on that train.

45 minutes later I arrived in Vegesack, and according to the website, the hotel was only 250 meters from the train station.  Of course I had no idea which direction….but, I picked one and walked.  And got lucky because I ran into a map….and then the road I needed was right across the street.  Easy-peasy.

Check-in was uneventful, but then of course, I couldnt get the door to the room open.  So, some poor soul had to come bring another key and then it seemed like all was well.  I hung up my suits, got ready, and headed across the street for dinner.  I was exhausted, but knew 5:30 was a little too early to go to sleep.  I had dinner at a little beer garden, but ate inside since it was chilly and rainy outside.  I ended up with some pasta with some sort of egg sauce and a giant glass of wine – and it was the small glass of wine.  I’m a little afraid as to what the big one would have been.

After a nice dinner, I was definitely ready for bed, but of course unable to get the door to the hotel room open again….awesome.  Back down to the desk I went.  This is a fun game…..this time, I had them watch while I tried the door so I could figure out what I was doing wrong.  Apparently, I was supposed to pull it, then push it open.  Of course, why didn’t I think of that….haha.  I felt really dumb, but was really just thankful to be in my room and in my bed.  Until tomorrow…

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s